We all know that sugary snacks and acidic fruit juice are not good for our teeth.
But were you aware of the other potentially damaging sources? WINE.
Alcohol is acidic and a glass of wine nightly can dry out your mouth and leave your teeth feeling dry and leave you with bad breath. Alcohol is also increasingly associated with mouth cancer.
When we drink acidic drinks such as citrus, fruit juice, coffee our enamel (the white outer layer) starts to dissolve.
This is because the acid softens enamel, allowing some of its calcium content to leach out, weakening the tooth. When teeth are eventually worn away, nerves underneath can be exposed, leading to sensitivity and pain.
Most alcoholic drinks are extremely acidic, with sparkling beverages at least as acidic as orange juice. As a rule, dry, sparkling wines are the worst of all alcoholic drinks, as the bubbles in them are caused by carbon dioxide, which is acidic. You’d be better picking a less acidic, flat wine over prosecco or champagne.
Artificial carbonated drinks of any kind also pose a threat because manufacturers pump them full of carbonic acid to produce bubbles, which helps soften teeth further. Fruit ciders are often artificially carbonated, so steer clear. Even fizzy water, harmless though it may seem, is very acidic.
Add ice to a drink to dilute the harmful effects
Choose any kind of flat drink over bubbles
Rinse mouth with water after drinking alcohol